This morning I had the strange experience of walking to work through Times Square (my office is just off of 46th and 6 Ave) and seeing Good Morning America live on one of the ginormous tvs, before looking over to my right and seeing Good Morning America filming a few feet away. Only in New York?
Today I took my few first stumbling steps into the shipping world. Believe it or not, I've never had to mail anything besides a letter before. I normally order things on line and automatically ship it to where I want to go. Today however, I learned the difference between a letter, large envelope, parcel, and large parcel according to USPS. I also learned how to print out FedEx labels online and how to call for a bike messenger in NYC. It's been a big day. :)
Feeling adventurous at lunch after my battle with the USPS website, I tried my first meal of street meat. I've eaten the odd hot dog and pretzel, but have never had the courage to buy a full-on mess of who-knows-what. The Times Square area is full of these tiny tin carts, billowing out meaty smoke, with bright signs bosting the best gyro this side of Broadway. Despite my qualms, the meal I was served was absolutley delicious! Yellow rice, jalapeƱos, chicken meat, gyro meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and white sauce mixed together made the best and cheapest ($4!) meal I've had thus far. Yum.
The Creative Director of Animal Planet spoke to us during class today, and it was incredible! Alexis spoke at length about how she got where she is today- a Christian and a highly successful artist. It was encouraging to hear how God drew out gifts she had no idea she posessed and took her to the most random places and jobs. She said that everytime she thought she was making a huge mistake, she found that it turned out to be the best choice. For instance- right out of graduate school, she decided to move to Russia for a few months. She ended up staying there for 8 years and working in film (which she had no background in). I mentally realize that God is directing me and has a plan. However, it's comforting to hear from someone who has experience that it can seem like the plan is crazy and failing, but God still has it in control. Thank goodness, because I certainly don't! :) Anyway, our class is working on a project with Alexis and Animal Planet that has to do with some of their new shows. Exciting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey girlie!
Do you have a camera? I'd love to see pics of the Today show and your mystery meat meal. You know you have an exciting life when you should be carrying your camera with you every day on the way to work just in case you see something interesting. :)
That is really neat about the Animal Planet woman's journey.
I had a lamb gyro last time I was there. It is a great deal, but a tad spicier than I was expecting.
How do you call a bike messenger?
Post a Comment