Welcome to my blog everyone! I decided since all my siblings are now in different states or different countries, I should keep up a blog in order to share my happenings. So, I'll do a quick update on the past 3 weeks and then hopefully will update regularly :)
I finally got to New York on August 25, after a slightly stressful day. I was supposed to leave earlier that morning, but had been struggling with an eye infection and woke up to discover it had traveled to the other eye. However, another bottle of medicine was ordered, I was able to move my flight back a few hours, and safely arrived late that evening.
I stayed the week with Meredith, one of my great friends from theatre. The second night, we saw [title of show], an extremely witty musical about two guys writing a musical. The two writers do in fact play the two main characters. It's terrific!
My internship at Teatown started on the 27th, and has been going pretty well so far. I'm basically the receptionist and do most of the duties done by Pam in The Office. However, my company is also working on a few screenplays, so I've gotten to read and help edit/give creative input. There's one more intern named Ayan and he and I get along great. He also watches The Office, Arrested Development, and Project Runway! :)
The next weekend, I moved back to Brooklyn Heights (where I lived in June) and helped Chris (my RA from the summer) get things ready for the other students. All 17 arrived the next day including my awesome roommate Lauren and Artie (a very good friend from Baylor).
Monday was Labor Day, so Artie and I went exploring. First, we went to the West African America Day Parade. There were people everywhere, with guys selling Jamaican flags and whistles, a few homemade floats, cooks selling chicken and rice, loud music, etc. We ate lunch there and then went on to find Artie's office in Manhattan. It turned out to be extremely close to the Empire State Building, so we went ahead and bought tickets to the top. It was amazing! I didn't do it the last time I was here because the tickets are kinda expensive, but it was well worth it. The day was extremely clear, so we could see quite far.
The next week was the first week of class in addition to my internship. We meet Tuesday and Wednesday nights from 7-10, so those days are a bit of a marathon. The classes are quite interesting though: Communication and Culture, and Art and Mass Media. Joe (my professor) has also included a lot of field trips and guest speakers to keep things lively.
This weekend, the entire Baylor group decided to go to a karaoke bar in Little Italy. That place had no idea what was coming...it was completely empty when we got there, and by the time we left, having spent an hour singing country songs in dedication to our beloved state, it was packed full. Artie and I had a pretty sweet rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody. The bartender seemed eager to have us back again :)
I met up with Meredith the next day and went to the Museum of Natural History. We only went through about half of the exhibits before we glazed over a bit from all the information and displays, but it was fantastic. The dinosaur exhibit, in particular, was quite enjoyable. Afterward, we shopped around Union Square and then had dinner at a cute diner Mer really likes.
Yesterday I was back at work, and today I'm stuck at home with a recurrence of the lame eye infection. I'm a bit worried since I'm away from home with this, so prayers would be much appreciated!
More to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
YOU STARTED A BLOG?!
I. AM. SO. EXCITED.
I haven't even read it yet. ;)
Ew, you have an eye infection? Poor you. I hope you feel better soon so you can get back to having fun. Oh yeah, and learning. :)
the dinosaur exhibit is really great at the museum. And the location right on Central Park is hard to beat too! I hope the eye infection clears up soon. Those are the worst. BTW, if you didn't watch Fringe tonight (the new JJ Abrams show) it's worth it. I think it combines some of the best elements of X-Files and Alias...and it has Denethor from LOTR!
Post a Comment