I got on the 2-3 this morning wondering what to expect from today. There were a lot less people on the subway- pretty much everyone had a seat, which never happens 7-9 on a week day. When I got off at Times Square though, things were just as boisterous as usual. Tourists walking into the middle of the street to take pictures of the huge M&M characters while angry taxi drivers cussed a blue streak at them.
Work was typical- I mailed a lot of things, ran some errands, and started looking over a company proposal.
After work though, I struck out on my own and decided to take the R close to the WTC. When I got out, the sun was beginning to set and I could already hear bagpipes. Almost everyone in the street was heading the same direction. Soon we reached the surrounding buildings where flags were draped everywhere and it was extremely quiet. I reached a side street and looked down to see perhaps a hundred men in pure Highland garb warming up their bagpipes. Dozens of firemen in uniform were milling around while others took pictures and some just stood and watched. I shouldered my way through and found the street strung with huge banners with all the names of the people who died, places to write messages, flowers, and flags with badges pinned to them. The pipers began and people cheered while they marched down the narrow path. The street went up to one of the gates leading into ground zero before veering down another side street. They paraded up and down and then stood still to play"America" and "Amazing Grace."
After the moment of silence, I walked on and around most of the area. People were lined up everywhere to look at the site, and almost all were utterly silent. Again, flowers and pictures were threaded through the gates. By this time, the sun had set and the beacon lights had been lit. They're actually a block or two down the street from the WTC, but I walked down as close as I could. It's extremely impressive- perhaps 30 lights are arranged in each of two circles on the top of a large parking garage. The beams shoot incredibly far up and are a gorgeous pure blue. I meandered around for a while and then came back home.
Joe said we should try and take part today, because it's like nothing else--he was right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow that's really cool. I've been down to the site twice, but nothing like that.
Post a Comment