Saturday, October 25, 2008

Yay! Big update time :)

Jordan and Ginnie came and visited us last week and we had a fantastic time! I don't quite recall the order we did everything in, but we saw The 39 Steps together one evening. It's a melodrama by Alfred Hitchcock and is pretty dang funny. They had a lot of sight gags that were extremely creative, and I think the two chorus guys played around 20 characters! We also went to Serendipity where we enjoyed the famous frozen hot chocolate and a variety of sundaes. Another evening we went to Dyllan's Candy Bar where we ran into Mary and John Michael (Baylor Theatre pals).
Their last day here, Ginnie decided to go see In the Heights (which won best musical at last year's Tony Awards) while Jordan and I saw Chicago. It was surprisingly a good bit different from the movie. However, Cellblock Tango and Razzle Dazzle 'Em were outstanding. I'm glad we saw it! Afterward, we met up with Artie and walked around midtown together. We randomly found a wonderful soap store that had the best scented soap I've ever smelled as well as body scrubs, perfume, etc. Everything is homemade in Israel and then shipped straight to the store. They have huge blocks of bar soap with a list of ingredients and effects. I bought a chunk made with avocado and olive oil that smells fantastic and is supposed to be an intense skin moisturizer. Christmas presents anyone? :) Anyway, afterward we got PinkBerry's (an awesome frozen yogurt place) and sat and chatted for a while about college, work, the future, etc. It was awful nice just to sit with good old friends for a while. And that was that. It was much harder to say goodbye than I thought it would be.

This past Sunday I went to All Angels, and Episcopal church my RA attends. Janelle, Sarah, and I all went and it was phenomenal. The church itself is very simple-- it has wooden floors, cream walls, diamond-paned windows and a simple cross that matches the floorboards. That's kind of how the church personality is too-- simple, clean, and pretty. They have the traditional scripture reading, old hymn, and the Lord's Supper, but also have a modern praise team intermixed. The Sunday I went, they even have a female church leader share the message. I really enjoyed it, and the people were extremely friendly without being pushy. I'll certainly go again.
When church was out, Sarah, Janelle, and I went to Central Park and ate lunch by the lake. When we finished, we walked some of the trails and saw some pretty spectacular scenery. I need to get in the habit of taking my camera more so I can post some pictures! Oh, here's one Janelle posted of facebook:

This was a tough week at work. It's hard working with some of the people there...they're just not very understanding and yet are extraordinarily driven. It's a blame game when things go wrong...Based on what I've experienced, New Yorkers are workaholics and yet most don't even enjoy their jobs. I'm ready to move on to something else. At least I'm learning what I do want from a job by being shown what I don't want though. Only 5 weeks left.

1 comment:

Emily Benesh said...

I'm so jealous of your getting to show off your new city to "old friends." But I did appreciate being tagged as the black and white cookie on facebook... :)