Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Southern Hospitality

Sorry for the long wait for an update! I'll definitely post a good long one sometime this week. However, for now I'd like to share a discovery I recently had: I'm a Southerner. I never really considered myself one, even though I was born and raised there. I don't have much of an accent, think the Confederate flag is a bit trashy for everyday use, and don't drive a pickup truck. However, now that I'm gone, I realize it was an awesome place to live. Little things like the Tex-Mex, good guacamole, fields, quiet, countryside, not waiting in a 20 minute line for everything, a more enjoyable pace to life, non-workaholics, etc. Don't get me wrong- I really enjoy NYC. However, I have come to the realization that I won't live here forever. I might come back after graduation and work for while or go to grad school, but I think home will always be the South.

To be continued...later this week.

3 comments:

Emily Benesh said...

I know what you mean! I've never really prided myself with being "a Texan," but now I'm realizing that I really am. So often when I'm walking down the street and some else is coming the other direction, I get this really awkward feeling, waiting to make eye contact and give a friendly smile, but then they just look at me weird. This guy at Staples actually used the word "y'all" the other day, and it just made me really happy. I guess it's the silly things...

Lauren said...

Yeah, there is an adjustment time when you move and realize you're an alien in your new place. :) It's been four years, and I just now feel like New England is really home. Dangit! Just in time to leave! ;)

Andrew said...

That's pretty much what I thought as well, and one reason I couldn't live long-term in NYC. I could handle a few years though. Anyway, I've thought of it as Northerners/New Yorkers are nice, but they're not necessarily friendly. That was the distinction that always comes to mind when I'm visiting. I think the difference between northerners and southerners really hit me on my way back from my first trip up during spring break. I had a layover in Charlotte, NC and between terminals they had these big rocking chairs. So homey, and so not what I'd seen in the Northeast! So yeah, I can relate.

On another note, there's a Staples in Cambridge??? That just seems really odd to me.