Sunday, December 14, 2008

Last-minute adventures

This is my next-to-last post in the lovely city of New York!
Here's an update on my recent adventures:

Thursday, I went out with Ayan, Roman, and Jamie from work. We met up at an amazing pub called McSorley's which was established in 1854- they only started letting women in the bar in the 1970s. Civil war soldiers who were regulars at the pub would hang a wishbone on one of the chandeliers, and when they came back they would take it off. There are still 20 odd, dust-covered bones just dangling there. Also on display is a chair Abraham Lincoln sat in when he visited McSorley's. I wish I could have taken pictures but it was jam-packed, and I didn't want to look too touristy. By the way- the pub sells dark or light beer, 3 kinds of sandwiches, and a cracker/cheese/onion plate. That's it. Awesome.

After having a pint or two, we made out way to Veselka- the both longed for and dreaded Ukranian restaurant. And then, dear readers, I ordered a cup of borsht. The dreaded, lumpy, red, beet-ridden stew so prized by my friends Roman and Ayan.

I tentatively tried a spoonful after being reprimanded for poking it To my utter surprise, it was good! The beets were balanced with an oddly sweet flavor from the broth and meat, kind of like sweet and sour sauce. I throughly enjoyed my cup, though not as much as Ayan enjoyed his bowl.

After Veselka, we met up with some of Jamie's friends and played a little pool. I was extremely sad to say goodbye to those three- they've been awesome friends and coworkers!

The next day, I got up early and took the Long Island Railroad out to Port Jefferson, where Caitlin and Kevin live. The train ride was quite fun, and I got to see a lot of the countryside which was very New Englandy. Lots of hills and forest with quaint little towns tucked into the pockets. I had to switch trains at Hicksville.

Yup, an actual town called Hicksville!

Caitlin picked me up from the Port George station and then took me to lunch with her friend Adrienne. Afterward, she took me on a tour of Stony Brook and particularly the theatre department. She's currently working on her Master's in Dramaturgy, which something I'm certainly looking at attaining. We met up with her husband Kevin that night and went to dinner before heading back to their apartment for game night. Kevin's game nights were some of the highlights of my time at Baylor, so needless to say, I was quite excited. We picked up the tradition double-stuffed E-fudge cookies and then played Muchkin- an RPG game that makes fun of RPG games.

Caitlin, their friend Joe, Kevin, and Munchkin!

I got back yesterday afternoon and immediately began packing up. Around 8:00, I headed out to Queens for a Christmas party with some ol' theatre pals: Haley, Blair, John, Audra, and Haley's friends Luke and Meredith. We all brought finger foods, and Blair, being the amazing cook she is, made lamb and potatoes. Yum!


Today I finished packing and cleaning and am about to head out for the rest of my Christmas shopping! I'll try and update once more with pictures from Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, etc.

Over and out.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Two things:

McSorley's sounds so awesome and historical that it would be the highlight of my trip if I went. Actually, it reminds me of the Eagle (?) in Cambridge.

HICKSVILLE?! REALLY? That is stinkin' awesome.

Andrew said...

I bet they have some good Guinness...I'm assuming this is an Irish pub. Very cool though.

And you tried Borsht? Awesome. I've seen it on either No Reservations or Bizarre foods. Either way I'd like to try it.

Hickville...lol.

I kinda expected poker, but with 4 that game doesn't surprise me with you guys.

Deborah said...

Nope, it doesn't have Guiness. Just a nameless light beer and a nameless dark beer. That's it :)